When I started writing this, I had so many thoughts floating around in a circle over my head that I planned to have serve as the preamble to this Sidebar but it’s been difficult to grab even one and put it down.
There is a lot to say. A whole lot. Especially with everything happening in the world.
So while I wrestle with my thoughts and hopefully get them to submit, I thought I’d just share the fun part of the Sidebar.
I’ve read only four books recently. I mini-reviewed the first three — Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel, And The Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini & Travellers by Helon Habila — here and I just finished the fourth — The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair.
I’m not sure about writing a review for The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair because I just finished it and I think I’m still processing it. The book is a lot but in a really good way and when I started I couldn’t put it down until I finished it. I honestly didn’t realise I’d enjoy a crime thriller this much and it’s a genre I’m going to start paying more attention to.
Anyway, I’m glad I’ve started getting through the pile of books that keep calling out to me each time I wake up. Here’s the pile:
I wonder what I’ll be pulled to read next.
I haven’t listened to any new music worth sharing 😦 but if you think there’s a song, album, mixtape etc. I absolutely have to listen to, please share it with me.
Ps. I’m currently partial to the following genres: funk, soul, hip-hop and jazz.
From around the web + randomness
- I should’ve mentioned this a long time ago but I did a 30-day photo challenge on Instagram — @theemixtapejournal — and because I’m so generous I added a song to each post.
- I spend a fair amount of time watching hyper-realistic drawing processes on YouTube. I don’t even know what it is but they’re just so satisfying to watch. Please check this and this out. People are insane. I mean I see it, I just don’t believe it.
- I picked up a new hobby — colouring. I know it sounds a bit ridiculous but I find it soothing. I got an adult colouring book & colour pencils to help me learn about some aspects of design (pretty much to help me practice mixing and matching colours), for visual stimulation and of course, for fun.
- I love the Zikiko Sex Life series. The series explores the sex lives of Nigerians. You can read the latest episode here.
- Knowledge is power so I’m arming myself with as much information as I can find on COVID-19. Shoutout to my friend, Oyeronke (my very own public health whisperer), for pointing me in the right direction.
You can read this paper that rebuts the popular claim that COVID-19 was deliberately created and this one on the origin and genomic variations of COVID-19.
“The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it”
– John 1:5
Peace and much love to you,
Ps. Featured images were taken by the writer.